It is time to make a change. Over the past
several months year due to a variety of factors (travel, moving, stress in general), I have seriously been slacking in the health department. I haven’t been consistently working out (and have gained the obligatory ‘relationship weight’), not eating correctly (too much Cuban food and Chick Fila), and just have been neglecting my overall well being. I’m not trying to overhaul my entire life to become a Vegan and start taking everything Gwyneth Paltrow writes on Goop as gospel (although she does have some good tips sometimes and I do love her skincare line). But I am ready to start making some intentional changes with my diet and lifestyle to help me be more active, healthy, and just feel better. After all I’m not 18 anymore, and it’s high time I start taking better care of myself.
Essential Daily Supplements
The first and by far the simplest adjustment (let’s just ease into this whole thing shall we) I’ve made so far is incorporating dietary supplements into my daily routine. I tried to be selective(ish), only picking ones that had multiple benefits that would help me in the areas that I’m most concerned about and deficient i.e., Digestion, Lack of Energy, Sleep Loss, Acne, and Weight Loss.
Apple Cider Vinegar Caplets
I’ll be honest I tried out this TSC detox drink containing Apple Cider Vinegar and I just couldn’t hang. But after some sleuthing on the interwebs I found out that these caplets have all the same benefits and are a lot easier pill to swallow (pun intended). Why in the heck would you want to ingest vinegar on the reg? The better question is why wouldn’t you?? The list of benefits are long and plenty, but here a few of my favorites:
- Weight Loss: Consuming apple cider vinegar can help you feel more full, which can help you eat less.
- Detox: It can help promote circulation and detoxify the liver. Apple cider vinegar’s potassium content helps to break up mucus in the body, which helps clear your lymph nodes.
- Digestive Aid: The antibiotic properties and bacteria fighting power of ACV help major help a sister out when you’re having tummy trouble or are going to eat something you might regret.
- Energy Boost: Needing an afternoon pick me up? The potassium and and enzymes in apple cider vinegar help to give you a little boost.
- Clear Sinuses: Breaking up mucus is one of apple cider vinegar’s many benefits, so it also can help clear out your sinuses. It’s antibacterial properties can also keep a sinus infection or cold at bay.
Magnesium has become my ride or die can’t live without it supplement. I was surprised to learn that over 80 percent of adults are deficient in magnesium (meaning you probably are too). I initially started taking magnesium to help keep me…for lack of a better word regular, but I ultimately discovered that it was helping with so much more than that! Magnesium is extremely important for your metabolism, enzyme function, energy production, and for balancing nitric oxide (NO) in the body, and can also help manage PMS, Anxiety, Insomnia, and Stress Breakouts.
Let’s break it down shall we. Probiotics are the naturally occurring “good” bacteria. They live in your gut and have a major role in your over all wellness. A healthy person has 100 trillion friendly bacteria in your intestinal tract. These “good” bacterias aid in digestion, boost your immune system, and keep bad bacteria and yeast in check. AKA probiotics can help prevent episodes of lactose intolerance, poor digestion, and diarrhea. When bad bacteria is left unchecked you can also suffer from chronic inflammation which is a big culprit behind acne and poor skin tone. And remember: when picking a probiotic quality matters! Make sure to get one from your local health food store in the refrigerated section with at least 20 to 50 billion live organisms per dose and contain a combination of different strains of lactobacillus and bifidobacteria. I prefer formulated for women to be the most effective for me, especially with warding off yeast infections! Bottom line a healthy gut is able to absorb nutrients and eliminate toxins, which will ultimately help with weight loss.
Whenever I feel a cold coming on I alway reach for the Zinc. It is a great supplement to boost your immune function, and keep you feeling healthy year round. As a side benefit, it can also help clear up your skin! Zinc regulates cell production and turnover, which will help reduce the amount of natural oil your skin is producing aka less clogged pores. Don’t take it on a completely empty stomach; I find it upsets my tummy if I haven’t eaten a little something first.
Long story short Fish oil has a TON of benefits that are used in the treatment of many health issues including: heart disease, ADHD, anxiety, depression, high cholesterol, inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis, alzheimer’s disease, eczema, diabetes, cancer, weakened immunity, autoimmune disease and macular degeneration. It’s also been proven to aid the body in weight loss, fertility, healthy pregnancy, healthy skin and increased energy.
- ADHD – I was diagnosed in middle school and have been struggling to find a medication that works for me ever since. I despise Adderall (makes me very anxious and I lose my appetite), so when I hear of a supplement that can help reduce common symptoms of ADHD I am always down to try it.
- I have had Endometriosis for the last 14 years, so the threat of infertility is always in the back of my mind. Fish oil has also been shown to increase fertility in women by reducing inflammation, balancing hormones and regulating their cycles.
- Also, not all fish oils are created equal. Most fish oils are highly processed and can oxidize easily because omega-3 fats are polyunsaturated, have a low heat threshold and can easily go rancid. For that reason, you will want to buy a fish oil in triglyceride form that also contains anti-oxidants to preserve them like astaxanthin or essential oils. If you aren’t a huge fan of pills, try Barlean’s Mango Peach Fish Oil. I found it in the refrigerated section of the vitamin section in my grocery store and you just take a spoonful everyday. Trust me when I say it’s seriously delicious! No fishy taste or side effects at all!